Born 21.09.1976 in Athens-Greece. Lives and works in Amsterdam and Athens.
2014: PhD Researcher, Leiden University/Creative and Performing Studies/PhDArts/The Netherlands
2007-2009 Master in Fine Arts/Public Art, Dutch Art Institute, The Netherlands
2005-2006 Accademia di Belle Arti di Brera (Erasmus program)
2000-2006 Studied Visual Arts in Athens School of Fine Arts
Selected Projects and Exhibitions
• The Storyteller, the knife and the "machine" a re-enactment by Yota Ioannidou
AGORA-Athens Biennale 2013
• Ideological Guide to the Venice Bienniale/a project by Jonas Staal. Yota Ioannidou contributes a text for the Greek Pavillon.
• Voice_Over, archive installation and lecture performance by Yota Ioannidou
“What Would I Say if I Had a Voice?” group exhibition curated by Elpida Karaba,Macrh-May 2013, ISET-Athens GR
• On the hill one happens to be sitting on: A tribute to failure
Art Project/ Broadway Passage/Athens. 11-19/6/2012. curator: Sofia Dona. Production:GOETHE-INSTITUT ATHENS-BAUHAUS UNIVERSiTY WEiMAR
• "Notes on Fear" a contribution by Yota Ioannidou to "Museum TV Station" a project by Lado Darakhvelidze
Exhibition I’m Losing More than I’ll Ever Have (The Practice of Everyday Life)
SMART PROJECT SPACE, Amsterdam, NL, June-August 2012
• “AULA INTERGALACTICA”, a project by Yota Ioannidou and Teresa Maria Diaz Nerio
A lecture-performance, Goleb, Amsterdam, May 2012
The Absent Image, curated by Raqs Media Collective for the online session of PhotoEspana 2012
•“AULA INTERGALACTICA”, a project by Yota Ioannidou and Teresa Maria Diaz Nerio
An archive and a sequence of three lecture-performances, Word of Mouth, Athens Biennale 2011, Diplareios School, Athens, Greece 22 October – 11 December 2011_curated by Kernel.
•"On the hill one happens to be sitting on": A tribute to failure, a project by Yota Ioannidou for Other possible worlds- Proposals on this side of utopia July 17- July 31, workshop & exhibition , Casino Luxembourg Forum d’art contemporain, LU
• Archive-Public, Yota Ioannidou participates with the on-going project Restage Radio_A, Patra (GR)
• Drachma: Speculations on Symbolic Value, workshop, Participants: Nikos Arvanitis, Robin Bhattacharya, Juliana Borinski, Jack Hernie Fischer, Assaf Gruber, Yota Ioannidou, Mo Y, Georgios Papadopoulos, Amelie Rydqvist, Société Réaliste, Liv Strand, Anna Tsouloufi – Lagiou, Elizabeth Ward, Annex of Athens School of Fine Arts, Hydra (GR)
• WildBookMarket – WildeBoekenMarkt 2011, Art books published between 2007-2011, Het Wilde Weten, Rotterdam/NL
• Time is Running Out a public debate hosted by André Catalão in collaboration with Tatjana Pieters and Marko Stamenkovic, Guests: Yota Ioannidou, Matija Plevnik, Elena Sorokina, Tijana Zakula, Sofie Van Loo/Time Festival, Gent/Belgium
• STRATAGEM - A project on factories’ relocation, de-industrialization and the effects of contemporary economical processes on individual’s and society’s life according to this transformation, Athens/Greece- Havlickuv Brod/Czech Republic
• First to be saved... – Collaborative project (Yota Ioannidou - Sevgi Ortac - Viki Semou) for the Detroit Unreal Estate Agency (a project initiated by Partizan Publik in collaboration with the Dutch Art Institute), Detroit-Michigan (USA)
• We Correspondents - A project developed by Dutch Art Institute in collaboration with Casco, Office for Art, Design and Theory organized by Binna Choi, director of Casco and co-curator of Electric Palm Tree
• Sparkling fields - Armenia Dreaming - A project on post Soviet urban imaginaries by Partizan Publik and
• A monument for Newton – A game as a monument – The “Newton project” by the Dutch Art Institute in collaboration with Florian Göttke
• Public Exchange Store forAgorafolly outside - Art-walk, Brussels/Belgium
• “Early Morning Glory” for Agorafolly inside, La centrale électrique, De elektriciteitscentrale, Centre for Contemporary Art, Brussels/Belgium
• Schisto: View from the mountain, group project, “Heterotopias”, Public Screening, 1st Thessaloniki Biennale/Greece
• “5 rooms” Five curators propose young artists, Kappatos Gallery, Athens/Greece
• “Attitude” video festival, Cultural Center “Magazza”, organizer: Center for Contemporary Public Arts Elementi, Bitola/ FYROM Macedonia.
• What Remains is Future: participation with group project (visual artists-architects) “Patra-Ancona and v.v.”, Patra, old Arsakeion school, organization: a.antonopoulou.art.
• Gemine Muse: Young Artists in European Museums. Museum of Byzantine Culture, Thessalonica, December 2005.
• “Memory Game”: group project-action at Zoumberi of Attica. Participation at “Paradigmata” for the 9th International Architectural Exhibition la Biennale di Venezia.
• “Locus Solus”: an experiment on the collectivity of artistic action. Group project. Gazon Rouge Gallery, Athens/ September 2003. Ithaca/ August 2003.
THIRD TEXT: Tactics of Resistance
The Archive of Crisis and the 'Capacity to Do What One Cannot' by Elpida Karaba
In different contexts of 'crisis', there has always been a discussion as to which mode of resistance to develop: legal, illegal or extra-legal. This article considers archival art as an alternative mode of artistic and curatorial 'resistance' to the challenges of today's crises that lead many people to utopian and 'out of law' withdrawals. It examines the particular paradigm of the work of the Greek artist Yota Ioannidou within a wider scope of contemporary archival and research-based art practices which aim to construct and articulate dispersed discourses, individuals and histories in dynamic structures of resistance. Notions of re-enactment, vicissitude, interpretation of law, performativity, parody, 'reversibility' and subversiveness are discussed as expanded artistic and resistance modes. The particular archives are presented as a radical form of conjunction of theory and praxis, as a 'lawful' (en loi) tactic of resistance and as an instituting practice. The specific (Greek) paradigm of Ioannidou's work suggests that one should consider the dynamic of aesthetic resistance within a trans- and intra-local mode, investing in the potentia of global democratic ideals
Archive Public-Performing Archives in Public Art: Topical Interpositions
Panos Kouros & Elpida Karaba
Texts by Arjun Appadurai, Ioannis Chorianopoulos, Wolfgang Ernst, Boris Groys, Panos Kouros & Elpida Karaba, Oliver Marchart, Gerald Raunig, Saskia Sassen / Works by Yota Ioannidou, Maria Konti, Gregoris Pharmakis, Lina Theodorou, Stefanos Tsivopoulos, Vangelis Vlahos, Nayia Yiakoumaki / Edited by Panos Kouros & Elpida Karaba, Designed by Christos Lialios, Translated by Yiannis Vogiatzis, Viky Iakovou, Alexandros Kioupkiolis, Language editing by Eleftheria Kopsida
CUBE ARTE DITIONS
Stratagem, a publication by Yota Ioannidou
texts: Marko Stamenkovic, Yota Ioannidou, Yannis Eustathopoulos, Anta Stamati
design: Dries Wiewauters / Werkplaats Typografie – artez, NL
Publisher: DUTCH ART INSTITUTE
2007 “The artist as opinion leader”, Nieuwe Grond, Vrede van Utrecht, Utrecht/Netherlands (participation supported by the Dutch Art Institute)
2004 and 2002 1st and 3rd Summer Workshop of Architecture and Visual arts in situ – Theory and Practice – Chania – Centre of Mediterranean Architecture.
2012 Goleb, Amsterdam, NL, 1 month residency
2008 “Open studios”, Skolska 28, Prague – Czech Republic, 2 months residency